Friday, February 13, 2009

B&C III - 21

Brian and Christine
Book Three
Saint Jane's
Part 21

Talk to the wolves. Nothing is hopeless I guess, thought Brian. Even if you’re in a fog and don’t know what you’re doing, even if faced with life threatening danger, there is hope. Christy taught him that. Or rather she reminded him of that. Never give up. That was the rule of life.

Brian went back to typing the story of “Crystal.” This was not about rolling down a mountainside or chewing on bark. This was about a real life. Slowly his fingers found the words to tell about knowing, about standing with trust and innocence against the irrational forces of the world, about looking danger calmly in the face and turning it into advantage, about translating hallucinations into realities and about finding the right road in life without the benefit of sign posts. This was Crystal, the ice angel who appeared out of nowhere and yet is always present to those who seek her.

Brian’s phone rang. It was a friendly voice.

“Well, hello Fred. How’s it going up there?.... Uh huh….Yes?....Oh, well, that’s great. Is Father Portera pleased?....Glad to hear it….Now when is it going to be up and operating? Now is the furnace in a good location, where it’s easy to get to and yet won’t stink up the place?....Ah ha! Good idea….Do you need me to send you any dough?....Well, you let me know, okay? Oh well. Good and bad….Mainly about Christy….Yes she is but I don’t like the place….I don’t know, they wouldn’t let me in….I know….Well, I’ve been told that once they go there they don’t leave, not even to be adopted…..You have to make an appointment, and it costs a thousand bucks to pay a visit….Well, that’s how they make their money, I was told. We’re working on it. By the way, you remember Wendy, my lawyer?....Well, she’s soon going to be my wife….That’s right….We don’t know yet, we’re working on it….We want Christy there when we do it, so we’re hoping to get that settled first….Sure, Fred, I will definitely let you know….Please give my best to Nina and your kids, and anyone else you happen to see….Thank you for calling….Any time Fred….Bye”

He hung up. “I miss Buffalo Gap” he said.



(To be continued.)

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad that Brian was able to help the father. Perhaps Karma will help Chisty.

Beth said...

Yeah, even Carla and the troll brains were better than Mother Magda and Saint Jane's!

Big Mark 243 said...

Missing Buffalo Gap ... sure, the same way I miss Air Assault School, and boxing. When you are pushed like they were, Brian and Christy, you form stronger bonds. Same with those you befriend.

I get that.