Sunday, February 1, 2009

B&C III - 9

Brian and Christine
Book Three
Saint Jane's
Part 9


“What was the question?

“I said will you marry me.”

‘That’s what I thought you said.”

“Well, will you?”

“Why?”

“I like your style.”

“And I like yours. No getting dressed up, no bouquet, no diamond ring, no getting on your knees, just a simple question. Well, a simple question deserves a simple answer and the answer is “yes.”

“Whew!” Brian said.

Wendy laughed. “What did you think I was going to say?”

“Just what you said. But I’ve only done that once before and that was a long time ago so I’m rusty at it. Besides it’s always scary for the guy.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know.”

“When should we do it?”

“As soon as possible I think.”

“I know a judge who will do it quickly. I can take care of the paper work.”

“Good.”

“When can we tell people?”

“Well, I have to tell the Romeros right away because I asked her what she thought about it the other day and she approved. Besides. They’re very religious and don’t like me sleeping with strange women.”

“How many strange women have you been sleeping with?”

:”None.”

“Christy will be delighted if we could only get in touch with her.”

“I tried again this morning, the phone is still dead.”

“Later on we’ll call Tom and see what he says.”

“Okay.”

They went in for breakfast and Mrs. Romero was there with a serious look on her face.

Brian said “Mrs. Romero, she said yes.”

She drew her palms together and smiled a big smile. “Oh, I’m so glad. So happy. That’s so good. I’m glad. Wait, I tell Juan. Juan….” She was calling into another room.

A moment later Juan appeared and said “Congratulations Mr. Sims, Miss Klein. My wife and I are happy for you. We’re so glad.”

“Thank you Mr. Romero” said Brian.

“When will you do this?” asked Mrs. Romero.

“We don’t know yet, but it will be soon. We will certainly tell you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“The Romeros went back into the kitchen with big smiles on their faces.

Later that morning Wendy called Tom Wong’s office. She listened while he talked for a while saying only “What?....When?....How?....How soon?....Okay.” She hung up and said “The news is not good.”

“What is it?”

“It is the policy of Saint Jane’s to never allow any of their girls to be adopted. It has never happened in its entire history.”

“But we can’t just leave her there.”

“Tom said he was looking for a way around it, but he said it was a very tightly written charter. He called it a trap door that has already closed.”



(To be continued.)

4 comments:

Beth said...

Good news about the marriage, very bad news about St. Jane's. I think that place is evil!

Ken Riches said...

Sounds like indentured servitude. Come on Tom, find a loop hole.

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Oh oh, one of those good news-bad news segments...

:) Leigh

Big Mark 243 said...

wtf!! How do they get away with the charter thing?!?

As to the marriage, hope Brian has better luck with his whirlwind that I did mine!