Wednesday, March 4, 2009

B&C III - 40

Brian and Christine
Book Three
Saint Jane's
Part 40

The next morning Wendy called Alice Foster and set up a time in the late afternoon when she could come and meet Brian and see where he lived. She also called Bloom and was told that since the publication of “People Talk” with the picture of Christy they have been overwhelmed with offers to adopt her. And they are still coming in.

She had to go to her office to do some work but assured Brian that she would be back for Ms. Foster’s visit. Brian went through his house to make sure it was presentable and then sat down at his computer and tried to do some work. It was pointless.

That afternoon Alice Foster arrived, a nicely but casually dressed woman of about 30. She had an open case over her shoulder filled with papers. Wendy arrived at the same time. When they came in Brian greeted Ms. Foster with a smile and asked her if she wished a coffee or anything. She said “I wouldn’t mind a cup of tea if you have any.”

“Wendy?”

“Nothing thanks.”

“Okay” he said and headed for the kitchen. Wendy took Alice into the living room where they sat. Alice took the case off of her shoulder, put it on the floor and fished out a file.

“Do you live here as well Wendy?”

“Sometimes. Since we’re engaged I try to spend as much time as I can with Brian, but my career keeps me busy.”

“When’s the happy day?”

“It’s not settled. We want Christy to be there, so we’re waiting until this whole thing is straightened out.”

“I see.”

“I hope things get settled soon. Do you think they will?”

“Well, a lot of that is up to Christy. I must say I have been very impressed with her. She’s very respectful and cooperative even though she’s under a major strain. Some of the other girls assigned to me, give me nothing but trouble. Christy is amazing.”

“Yes. Many people have said so.”

Brian returned with a tray and set it down next to Alice. It had a cup of tea with milk and sugar on the side.

“Thank you” she said.

Brian sat down at his desk and said “Now Ms, Foster, what can I tell you and what can you tell me?”

Alice smiled and said “Well, first of all it’s Alice, and you can tell me a little bit about yourself and how you know Christy,”

Brian retold the story of the plane crash, the long walk, the time spent in Buffalo Gap, the hearing which cleared him and Christy of the claim that they weren’t on the plane. He told her about why he had enrolled her at Saint Jane’s and how they tried to see her and about the letter he wrote that she never received.

He explained about being a successful script writer for Silverstone Studios and how he met Wendy.

Alice listened carefully, occasionally making a note in her file.

“Do you consider yourself a patient man, Brian?”

“Yes. Not as patient as I would like to be, but I’ working on it. Why do you ask?”

“I think I can tell off hand that you would make a good parent for Christy, but she has been through a hard knocks experience with some men who treated her badly. She has a lot of healing to do. How long is up to her, but for now she needs to be alone and not in the company of men. Do you understand that?”

“Yes, I do. But how long will that condition last, do you think?”

“I don’t know. It’s up to her. But I think I can safely get her released into the custody of Wendy, here. And then we’ll see how she responds.”

“Okay.”

Alice was thoughtful. She looked around at the room. “Mm” she said. “I noticed that you have a pool.”

“Yes. I enjoy swimming. Christy asked me to teach her to swim.”

“I was just thinking of something. I’d like to make a suggestion. Is there ever a time when you’re not here, Brian?”

“Hardly. This is where I work. But I can go to the studio whenever I want. Why?”

“I was just thinking that it might be a good idea, after a few days at Wendy’s place, Wendy could bring her over here when you’re not here, maybe for a splash in the pool, and see how she feels being in the house, with your things around. If she freaks then we’ll try something different but if she seems comfortable being here that will be a good sign. What do you think?”

“I like it” said Brian.

“Me too” said Wendy.

“Then let’s do it. And if that works out, I suggest that you go over to Wendy’s place for a brief visit.”

They all thought that was also a good move.

But it was going to cause some trouble.


(To be continued.)

4 comments:

Dannelle said...

...it was going to cause some trouble...DB you are a master at "the twist" in plots. Just when you think it will finally be happy ever after- boing...the spring pokes up through the plot and here we go again! Hugs, Dannelle

Ken Riches said...

The fog is thick, but I am confident that they will find some new methods to find each other again.

Beth said...

That sounds like a great plan, and Ms. Foster is a smart cookie. Of course there will be wrinkles in the plan...it wouldn't be a DB story if there weren't! ;)

Hugs, Beth

Big Mark 243 said...

Anxious about the trouble.